Monday, April 09, 2007

Pharisees

You know what really bothers me today? Modern day Pharisees. They really get me fired up.

I hate it when "christians" think that they have the market cornered on God. They act like their church is the only one going to make it. Quick to harshly judge all others who don't do church just like them. Then they go down the condemnation road... and act all pious and grand.

ARGHHH.

Its funny to me how Christians get hung on little things, but just overlook pride and self deception in their own life.

"When Pride walks on the stage God walks off." -Ed Young 2007 C3

The church is supposed to be the Body of Christ, yet we spend so much time cutting eachother up instead of encouraging and edifying. If we could really present a united front for the kingdom we could change this community for His glory. The self-righteous aren't going to change anyone, just hurt other believers and discourage unbelievers from trusting.

The text teaches that our righteousness if like filthy rags. We only can put on the righteousness of Christ. If we are really wearing His righteousness, we won't act like the Pharisees. The antithesis of who Christ really is.

Ever study the original text of what the word filthy rags meant to the Jew? It really implies the thought of the material that women used during their menstrual cycle. We loose that in translation. Changes the thought huh?

We often illustrate that thought in sermon by holding up a dirty, oily rag. But think about what the text really says, and what it would have meant when it was said to someone in Jesus day. Jesus wasn't impressed with the righteousness of the Pharisees. You make the implication.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the way we do church is perfect. Hmm... no church is. I fully understand it takes all kinds of approaches to reach everyone. IE the difference between Peter and Paul's style of ministry in Acts, is a perfect example of two totally different church styles. But come on lets not eat each other bones and all.

Pharisees read the book of James. You know Jesus brother. It might help with some relationships.

I am just disgusted.

4 comments:

Lori Eilers said...

It is sooo frustrating that anyone would criticize a church for bringing people to the life saving knowledge of Jesus Christ but we will always have Pharisees. I had not read about the filthy rags translation before. Yowza, harsh. I am finally coming to the place where I am caring less and less about what other "churches" say about me and JCFC. It has taken a while but I'm trying to keep the main thing the main thing and focus on what God has called me to do and where God has called me to do it. I guess you know you are doing something right when it upsets people and satan.

joshua said...

Yeah I agree. They killed Jesus for that kind of thing!

It is tough sometimes, but I am determined to help peoples lives be changed for the kingdom.

becky said...

thanks, that's so good...needed that today

Jason said...

You know I'm with you man.