Friday, April 06, 2007

Lessons in Leadership

Well the past two years have been great, humbling at times, high times, but most of all growing times. I have given a lot of thought as to who I am, what I am really about, and what drives me. I have really grown as a leader in several ways.

Some of the Lessons in Leadership I have learned I have learned the hard way. I try to learn from others as often as possible, but there are things you just cant know unless you walk that road. There have been roads I have started to go down, and realized yikes, that isn't what I thought it was. I want to share a few things in leadership I have learned in the past few years.

1. Do the hard part first.
It always seems better to let things ride, but it is just not the case. It is better to address the situation at hand NOW. Not like the candy now or later...

2. You don't need everyone that comes to your church.
Sounds contradictory to church growth but its not. Sometimes you grow by subtraction. There are those who cant get the big idea, and are too self-centered to help you grow this thing for the sake of the kingdom.

Spiritual maturity is not self centered!

3. Deeper is doing.
Deep Christianity isn't being able to say I prayed for 16,000 hours this week. Put some feet to the Text. Application. I am glad God is speaking to you and all, but what are you doing with what He is saying.

4. Put up or shut up.
Do I need to explain that one? Nah.

5. Be slow to Hire slow and fast to fire.
Be slow to hire, so that you get the right person at the right times. Then when it isn't working, and the team member isn't really on the team. "Free them to do ministry elsewhere."

Some "fireable" offensives at JCFC
1. Disloyalty. You're done. End of discussion.
2. Lying. If you will lie to me, you'll lie to church, your spouse and to God.
3. Talking about your compensation package. It only breeds disunity and jealousy on the team.

By the way, you can fire volunteers and those you have hired from within. It isn't easy or fun. But it can be done with a right heart.

6. Go with your gut.
You need to be able to react to those strong gut feelings. Trust your heart (or your wife, women have better discernment usually than us dumb men).

7. Dream Bigger
We often don't dream big enough. We limit God, and bore the entrepreneurs in our church.
If your not making the finance team nervous your not dreaming big enough.

8. Take the Risk
Seriously life is too short not to have all the chips on the table. Your are either all in or all out. What dance around, and never really get it done? Take the risk, its all just time and money anyway.

9. Nothing is really sacred.
Its just a building, or a chair, or a screen. Get over it. They are all just tools for us to use to reach more people. This thing isn't about buildings, or numbers, or dollars. It is about seeing changed lives once Jesus lives in their life. It is about making disciples, and them duplicating themselves.

10. You don't always have to have 10 items in the list, or 3 points in a sermon for that matter!

4 comments:

becky said...

go on....preach it!!!!!

Being a great leader isn't always easy, if it was, there wouldn't be anyone to follow and support your vision. Thanks for pushing through the hard times so we can all enjoy the good times.
Because you are following the vision God has given you, and allowing him to use you,lives are being transformed. It doesn't get much better than that!!!!!

joshua said...

Thanks for the support Becky. I am loving where I m at more than ever in my life!

Lori Eilers said...

Thanks for helping me grow as a leader. I've been a children's pastor for a long time but feel like my leadership skills have grown more in the last two years than ever before. Keep doin' that thing you do!

Unknown said...

way to rock the pulpit, Josh. (& Dara)...we are so blessed to have a pastor that is 'all in', principled, relevant and doesn't shrink from the tough stuff.