Friday, January 06, 2006

Colin vs Dad

Well last night was very interesting. I normally get up with the kids when they cry, but Dara got up when Colin started crying last night around 2. She got him some juice, and changed him. It seems like she got him all tucked in again, but by the time she got back to our room he was screaming.

All babies go through some of that, so I said just let him cry a bit and figured he will go back to sleep. He didn't. He woke Awnna up, and she was telling him loudly to go back to sleep and stop screaming. That didn't help at all.

Dad to the rescue. I went in and decided that Colin was really just throwing a fit. I tried several ways to get him back to sleep, but every time you'd lay him down, when I would walk away he would cry. If I stood there he would make a "mad face" and watch me silently out of the corner of his eye.

We have been watching these parenting DVD's by this minister who has a great outlook on raising children. The number one thing in dealing with kids is that the parent has to win. Once you start letting the kids get one over on you, watch out. So even when I didn't really want to even battle at now 2.30 or 3.00, I decided I was going to win. I sent Awnna to bed in my room. I then grabbed a blanket and a pillow so I "camp out" on the floor. (Awnna's bed is a loft, and it is funny to see me up in it. I didnt' want to deal with him from up there)

So after a few more battles, he finally understood he couldn't kick and scream, and he calmly with no tears fell asleep. I in turn slept on the floor for a while, but it was worth it to know he now understands more than ever that Dad is the final authority.

How much better would our lives be if we just let Jesus be the final authority. It is hard sometimes to just give in, though isn't it. Why are we like that? It is tough to ask for help, hard to admit when we are wrong, and difficult to just say, "OK God, I can't do this myself." But for things to be different, we have to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are wise beyond your years and you will be so glad that you are dealing with these things now and not when your kids are teens. I'm proud of how you and Dara parent and I think it's great that you are seeking Godly ways to be even better. Not only will you be raising great kids, think of the legacy you are giving them to pass on to your grandchildren! Way to go Idaho!!
Love ya :)