Sunday, August 19, 2007

Gods Direction

Finding Gods direction is really an interesting thought. I know in my life I personally would like to know what ore than just one step holds. All too often though God leads us one step at at time.

This is really an area that I wrestle with. I like knowing how everything is going to play out. I don't mind dealing with the spontaneous things in life, but I sure enjoy knowing the things coming ahead.

I am a researcher by nature, I like to understand how things work and why. As a kid I used to take everything apart (much to the dismay of my mother) and then reassemble them. I just liked knowing how it worked.

I was unpacking some of these habits with my accountability guys this morning, in regards to God leading us. Steve relayed a great analogy from Charles Stanley.

Stanley once compared knowing Gods direction to driving home at night from the office. He said I leave my office and turn on my headlights. They only shine a couple hundred feet in front of me. Yet I can navigate my way home. I don't have to have beams that lock onto my house from the office, i just need to see a little bit in front of me.

The same is true for me. I often want to see the end picture and at times judge my immediate circumstance y what I think the end picture should look like. In reality I need to just trust God with the steps he has given me right in front of me. Although I may not see much past the next few decisions, I know the vision he has given me.

I challenge you to not be consumed (like I have been at times) with the distant future. Look at what you are doing right now for your family, and to impact the kingdom.

Let God lead you one step at a time. Remember to trust him and he will direct your path!

2 comments:

rrogness said...

Thats a great quote about the headlights. I think it can be frustrating to see the end result of something before you have any idea how the pieces will come together. It takes a true visionary to make things look like they happened easily.

Lori Eilers said...

Great post! If we are consumed by what's happening in the future, we may miss some precious things of the moment.