Monday, November 12, 2007

Weekend Update

Sunday was great. We have had crowds so big, we had to move the curtain back a row to allow for some more seating! Love it.

Yesterday we took a detour in Galatians to land in I Corinthians 8 for a day. I really felt like we needed to address the difference between universal sin and particular sin.

There are things that are universally wrong for everyone regardless of race, culture age etc. As well there are things that some may have freedom in, but others may not. Particular sin.

So we dealt with meat offered to idols as the cultural reference. When dealing with cultural issues we need to ask the text and our selves a couple questions.

1. What does the text say?
If it is clearly forbidden, then dont do it.
2. Should I do it?
What does the Holy Spirit say to me through my conscience?
3. What does my weakness require?
You may have to intentionally restrict your freedoms, due to spiritual weakness.
4. What does my friend need?
You may have a friend who is of weaker conscience, if you do you should love your friend more than your freedom!

Read I Corinthians 8 this week, along with Galatians 4 for Sunday.

2 comments:

CWalk said...

Quote of the Week:

(From Sunday's Message by Pastor Josh)

"Strong on Alcohol. Weak on Twinkies."

rrogness said...

I agree. Laughed out loud for that one!