Friday, October 26, 2007

Cheering

I love to read through Hebrews 11. I like to envision it like a stadium full of the saints of God just cheering everyone on who is running the race of Faith. I love the journey God has us on. Amazing.

As I ran the half marathon last Sunday, I had a lot of time to think (read, Josh isnt a very fast runner). One of the things that really moved me, was when I saw people up ahead, I picked up the pace. They were cheering for me, encouraging me, telling me that I can make it.

(One guy told us to be careful as the corner wasn't banked, and since we were running so fast, he didnt want us to fly off in the the lake... He was too funny.)

But as I finally rounded the last corner, the last several blocks were lined with people cheering. Both sides of the road, people were ringing bells, and shouting, and holding up signs. It was in that moment that I began to dig deep. I was tired, and my knees hurt, and hot. But down inside there grew a passion as people spurred me on to finish strong.

I began to sprint, others around me began to do the same. My feet moved faster. My heart rate climbed. My breathing increased, but I knew I was going to finish strong. I knew everyone would be proud. I would feel accomplished...

13.1 miles completed.

I have replayed that moment over and over in my mind. The joy of finishing the race while everyone is cheering.

I think we all can do better at cheering others along. I am making it my new goal, to make sure as a leader I am cheering others along.

It is vital that we encourage one another. So today, make sure you give some one an affirmation in what they do, or who they are in Christ.

No comments: