Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Leaders are Thinkers

I went to a business conference with my wife last night. The speaker was tremendous. Of course what he was speaking about was all business related, but it is my custom to try to get something that I can apply to church growth and health.

One of the first things that he said was, if you are going to do amazing things you have to learn to think differently. He was telling a story of a man who had succeeded greatly in business. The man's first goal was to get a car with a driver. You might ask why? Maybe he should have paid other things off, or put some money away for retirement, but he wanted a car with a driver.

His idea was he wastes so much time looking for a place to park, and driving around doing nothing when he could be being productive. So he did get a driver and a car and he became one of the top income earners in his company.

Now maybe that is extreme or radical thinking, but an amazing approach. So often we just do ministry by memory, and expect new results. When sometimes we need to have a totally fresh idea on how we do church. Obviously why is the same, and the principles stay true, but methods can and do always change.

So my thoughts are, what are we doing that is "getting us a car and driver?"

3 comments:

Gary Lamb said...

Hey bro. I just found your blog. I planted a church in Ames, Iowa and it was hell on earth. :) You guys in Iowa are my heroes. Love the blog and look forward to reading about what God is going to do through you guys.

joshua said...

gary, thanks for the encouragement, i think? I was in ames for 3 years before here. we took almost a year building a team before we launched. things are going great.
where are you now?

Gary Lamb said...

I planted a church about 19 months ago north of Atlanta in a town a lot like Ames called Canton, Ga. I'm having a whole lot more fun at this one and I plan on staying at this one. We meet in a movie theatre and are running about 425.
You can check us out at www.ridgestonechurch.com
You can check out my blog at www.garylamb.org