Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Deeper is Doing

There is this amazing thing that happens to some Christ followers as they grow into mature believers. Sometimes they get this idea that they need to be "deeper." Which in and of itself is great. We do need to be deep, not shallow Christians. But some how "deeper" gets translated as "mystical" in the mind.

So what starts off good as being a deeper or fully devoted Christ follower becomes a mess. I have a new theory. I call it "deeper is doing." Simply put deeper is applying the truth of God's word to our life right now. Not just looking for the mystical.

Deeper is asking the question "what does my giving look like?" A biblical mandate is giving.

Another is "am I living out all the text that we have heard being preached in the past 6 months?" Every single one? If you aren't you don't need a deeper bible study you need to be living already what you know.

Still yet another is "who have I brought to church this week?" or "who am I bringing this week?" Since the great commission was Chisst's last command to all the Christ followers, I think it is applicable to us.

I think Deeper is doing. I am trying to live by it myself. I don't want to be mystical and odd, I want to be applicable. I want to be able to be used of God. To be able to respond to his voice. If we are so heavenly minded we are no earthly good, we aren't really going to be able to impact anyone.

2 comments:

Lori Eilers said...

Amen Pastor Josh. Thanks for the great sermon via pod cast. Even if you were a person in attendance Sunday, you should listen again!

Dara said...

Hey babe - great sermon.
love it.
Dara
ps - change crust to christ and love to live.
you can delete this too if you want!