Thursday, August 17, 2006

Abraham and blindly following God

Do you ever just think about the men who followed God with out His word. Guys like Abraham who heard from God one day and God said just leave everything you have ever known or done and follow me to another place I will show you.

I am all about travel and adventure and risk. I live to take risks, to climb the highest thing around me, then jump off it. Or swim, or run, or whatever to the extreme. But I really like to know the destination, and what the results are going to look like.

Not Abraham, God said go, and he went. He didn't question where, or how long is this going to take, or what about the chariot I require. It has to be a German built one, I cant ride in an average chariot... Really the guy was pretty well off, before he started out on this journey. I was reading that story to my kids tonight and I thought "wow, am I really a risk taker for God?" Really, am I laying it on the line for him? Or do I still dabble in my own myopic issues of life?

The real vision of God is beyond my acute perspective. How bold and self centered we are to assume God only has a few little things for me to do, and I can just do everything else my way.

Forgive me God. I want to be like Abraham who simply said "Yes" instead of our "Yes? I think I will."

The last thing that got me is that after God blessed him and promised him everything in Genesis 12, God basically said, "Now keep yourself clean and stay before me. I'll work it out." Amazing.

God work it our for us, and help me to stay clean before you.

No comments: