Saturday, December 10, 2005

Technology

"Man, I love technology, but not as much as you and me, always and forever. Always and forever...."

I love Napolean Dynamite. Great movie. But I really do love technology. It is amazing as I sit here at Panera and surf the net while I sip some coffee, and gather my thoughts for the morning.

God has really been pushing me in a lot of areas. I am trying to be faithful in all of them. One of them is really using technology for His Glory. As Christ followers we are quick to say He has created all things, but fail to use a medium that is touching everyones life daily. It is easy for us to pray and thank God for the wisdom he has given doctors, or say he owns the cattle on a thousand hills, (he can meet your finacial need), but when it comes to technology we red flag sometimes.

Jesus was the master illustrator. Everywhere he went he was referring to things happening around him. It just made the point that much more powerful. Like when he likened the Gospel to a sower, or sitting outside the Gate Beautiful referenced entrance to heaven. I would even guess He was near a street vendor selling bread, when he spoke of himself being the bread of life. Master communicator.

So if Jesus used all the things around him, why cant we be like him?

Why cant we use our Ipods as discipleship tools? I mean there are plenty of places to download the audio bible to it. It can be a whole bible right along side of your music. I know God is challenging me to do better at market place evangelism. Why cant we redeem technology and use it in ways it wasn't really designed for?

We do it all the time with other things. Computers weren't designed to be used as Christian tools, but we have used them all over the place. Auto makers designed cars to help us travel and make life easier, and we have used the vehicle to take the Gospel to the world. Radio is used all over the communist and Muslim world to broadcast God's love in places we can't physically get to.

So why is it that many of us hesitate to use video, or prerecorded clips, or an Ipod to share the gospel with?

So what is God asking us to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I coundn't agree more with you Pastor Josh! I know as a children's pastor, it is so important to utilize technology whenever I can. Whether we like it or not, the kids of our culture and this time period are learning in multiple types of medium at school, home and in play. They are technology smart and could probably teach us more than we know! I want to show kids safe and fun ways to use technology to help them minister to others and grow in their own faith.