Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sunday Sermon Notes

Blue Prints
"Wired for Worship"

Ever done anything really silly. Just plain humiliating. Just thought afterward, what I was thinking.

I can't dance, sometimes I like to think secretly that I can, but I really can't and I have been the butt of a lot of jokes before, actually my sister has on her website that one of the things that makes her happy is watching me try to dance.

Well, I remembe7thn 7th grade once we had this teacher who was into Native American dance. And we was trying to make some point and wanted a volunteer to do a rain dance. So because I hate awkward silence I raised my hand to go. I have never even been to a pow wow so I had no idea what to do.

It wasn't pretty.

It is the fear of foolishness that really keeps us from doing a lot of things.

It is the fear of foolishness that keeps:

*You from raising your ha4thin the 4th grade when you aren't sure you know the answer
*You from asking that person out on a date, because you are afraid they may say no
*You changing your major, or changing jobs
*You from praying for a miracle, or even sharing your faith
*You from really worshipping as we could or sometimes should


It is sometimes the fear of foolishness that keeps us from becoming who we really were destined to be.

Here is the big idea:
If you are afraid to look foolish, youre foolish.


If you think about it, faith is simply the willingness to look foolish.
Noah looked foolish building an ark
Sarah looked foolish buying maternity clothes at 90
Israelites looked foolish marching around a walled city blowing trumpets
David looked foolish attacking a giant with a sling shot
Wise men looked foolish following a star
Peter looked foolish stepping out of a boat in the night
Jesus looked foolish hanging on a cross

But that is faith, risking looking foolish at the sake of doing something great.
But with all these examples the results speak for themselves
Noah, saved his family from a flood
Sarah had a baby at 90
Israelites conquers the city without any bloodshed
David killed a giant
Wise men found the savior
Peter walked on water
Jesus saved the world

One of the reasons I think that we are not killing giants, or walking on water or doing great things is because we are afraid to look foolish.

2 Samuel 6:16, 20
As the ark of the LORD was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she despised him in her heart. 20. When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, "How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!"

When you get excited about God, you can just expect some opposition.

When you step out in faith to worship God more or to become more passionate about your prayer time, or to begin a new ministry here at the church or outside of here.

When you get really passionate about God 1 of 2 things happen
1. People are challenged positively Some people are going to say, man they have something I love. I want to grow like they have grown. I want to be passionate about Jesus in that same way
2. People will be convicted Some people though are going to quickly make excuses about something else in your life; they are going to try to drag you back down.

See you are disturbing the status quo. Living outside the box.

You see David has finally gotten the Ark of the Covenant back home. It has been along process and he is just worshipping God with every fiber of his being.

David wasn't in his fruit of the loom; he took off his kingly garments, and was just able to be free. Totally uninhibited.

He was new king, and kings don't disrobe in front of people and dance.

Michal new that better than anyone, her dad was king, and she grew up in the palace. Michal was upset with David, because he wasn't acting as her father did. Saul was kingly king. I figure he probably woke up in the morning with scratches on his face, because he had slept with his crown on.


But part of it is they don't really know what is happening.

Have you ever pulled up next to someone and they are dancing like a mad man in the front seat. You know they are really getting with the music in their car. Really from the outside it looks dumb. Go ahead we can admit it, we laugh at people doing that. Have you ever caught yourself doing it! Of course.

To those hearing the music it's great.

There is an ancient proverb that sums this up
Those who hear not the music think the dancer is mad. -ancient proverb


Sometimes I lift my hands in praise, as in total surrender to God. Other times I kneel. Sometimes I move my feet back and forth to dance a but because I am excited

Maybe it seems weird to get excited, or to worship a god we can't sense with our 5 senses.

But it isn't really that foolish once you have heard Gods music so to speak.
I'm not crazy, I am just responding to what God is doing inside my heart, and it gets me going.


Jason Huffey is our worship leader and he really does a great job at helping us engage with God. I have asked him to come and just share his heart a bit about worship.

A Personal Worship Experience
1. Worship before and audience of One
2. When you draw near to God, He won't leave you hanging
3. Worship translates into a lifestyle



2 Samuel 6:21-22
David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord's people Israel I will celebrate before the LORD. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor."

David is willing to show his joy and celebrate. Whether it pleased people or not. His one goal was to please God.

Worship is Simply saying Thank You to God

Hebrew word for praise is
Hallal means clamorously foolish

If you aren't willing to look foolish, you're foolish

No comments: