Tuesday, January 16, 2007

BloggLifting

Upon reading Craig Groeschele's blog - I had to just post it - so good what he had to say about why some churches fail and why others succeed:

"Some church plants make it. Some don’t.

Some ministries grow and reach people for Christ. Some slowly die.

Some student ministries explode. Others implode.

I’ve often wondered why. What’s the difference? While only God can sort out the details, I’ve noticed one phrase that leaders of struggling ministries often repeat. If a leader says this phrase too many times, worse yet, believes it, the ministry or organization will likely struggle or fade away. I call it the “phrase of death.” What is this deadly combination of words?

“The people won’t…”

Here is what someone might say:

* “The people won’t bring their lost friends.”
* “The people won’t tithe?”
* “The people won’t get into small groups.”
* “The people won’t serve.”
* “The people don’t care about the poor.”
* “The people won’t come to the prayer meeting.”
* “The people won’t do what I want them to do.”



There’s a fine line between asking someone to do something and leading them to do something. If we just ask a crowd of people to do something, they probably won’t. But if we lead them, chances are much better they will."

Here was the positive response from Eric Mason:

"Perhaps we should concentrate of or better yet begin to state these words “I will…”

• I will go
• I will give
• I will create a small group
• I will serve that small group
• I will care about the poor
• I will pray for all
• I will do what others won’t do

Perhaps the answer lies in what each of us “Will Do” not so much in what we say … the scripture does teach that we are to let our light so shine that they see our “good works” and glorify our father which is in heaven.

Note: A few things I see in this passage… it says let them see my good works not hear my big mouth. The other is that since the bible teaches there is none good but the father I have to conclude that the statement is saying, “…that they see your God works…” And the works God asks of me is to Love God and to love my neighbor as myself. I find that I am able to practice this as I host my LifeGroups. I also find it is a great and effective way to fulfill His mandate to make disciples of all men.

May God Favor All that you do for the Love of Jesus Christ."

2 comments:

becky said...

Craig has such good things to say. I really enjoy listening to his podcast.

Unknown said...

all those 'i will's could become a personal manifesto of sorts. good stuff!